Call for Papers
The Archers in fact and fiction: Academic analyses of life in rural Borsetshire
Cara Courage, University of Brighton, Nicola Headlam, University of Liverpool and Peter Matthews University of Stirling invite the submission of abstracts to a seminar to take place on 17th February 2016 at University of Liverpool in London, Finsbury Square.
The seminar intends to take an academic perspective on life in Ambridge and Borsetshire, with papers from across academic disciplines. Papers might include:
- A historical analysis of rural Britain as heard through Archers’ storylines
- A cultural analysis of Archers’ fandom
- A sociological analysis of class dynamics in rural Britain through the lives of Archers’
- A hydrology of the Am valley following the recent flooding events
- Elderly care provision in the rural setting
- Participatory and strategic planning in rural areas
- Rural and village economics, from the village store to agribusiness
- The statistical probability of no Ambridge residents listening to radio 4 at 2:00pm or 7:00pm
This list is not meant to be exclusive or exhaustive, but is meant to inspire you to think how your academic research can illuminate and explain life for the Archers and Ambridge. The day is intended to give academic fans of The Archers a platform to exercise their love of the programme and their subject area.